I’m a big coconut fan. It was my pregnancy food from the get-go with Hadley and I’ve craved it ever since. Trevor doesn’t like coconut so I took the opportunity when he was out of town to make these cookies.
I’ve never skipped butter in cookies. Sometimes you use a bit of shortening, but there’s always butter. Subbing out the butter for coconut oil in this recipe (originally found on The Well-Traveled Wife) was great. It kept the cookies super moist and they had a mild nutty flavor. I didn’t have vanilla extract (gasp!) so I used a little bit of almond extract and it totally made it for me! It enhanced that coconut flavor nicely.
This was a super quick recipe to put together, so fast in fact, I could do it with my 22 month-old Bryn. She’s started taking an interested in all things culinary, and she “helped.” (By helping I mean she ate some chocolate chips) All in all, this was a solid cookie recipe that I’ll definitely make again!
Read on for the recipe.
Also, if you love coconut, check out a previous recipe I made for Peanut Butter and Coconut Balls!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a cookie sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat the the coconut oil and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and beat until fluffy. Add in the almond extract.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder with whisk. Mix the flour mixture into the coconut oil mixture until all the flour is incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips and coconut and mix well.
- Drop by rounded spoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 8 to 9 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges. They will be really soft and chewy, with a slightly crispy edge. Let them rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.