I’ve been looking in all our local supermarkets for Acai packets, which come in the freezer section. They are small pouches with Acai (pronounced aaaah – SIGH – EE), which is a small berry that people call a superfood. Right now, there’s not a ton of conclusive research on its health benefits, but according to the Mayo Clinic, it does have the highest amount of antioxidants over any commonly-eaten berry so still really great!
I’m always looking for a delicious, healthy breakfast and this recipe doesn’t disappoint. It also doesn’t hurt that its really pretty as well. Acai bowls are generally dairy and gluten-free (based on what you top them with), but a super fast and delicious breakfast! They’re also ridiculously easy to make so you can easily whip this up before work (especially if you prep the berries the night before). Just throw it in the blender, add your toppings and enjoy!
Have you tried Acai bowls? What are your favorite flavor combinations?
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 packet frozen acai puree (semi-thawed by running under warm water for about 15 seconds)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (I used a blend from Trader Joe's)
- Splash of water (you can use juice to sweeten, but I wanted to keep the sugar content down)
- Sliced berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
- Granola (I used by favorite Coconut Chia Seed granola from Nature's Path)
- Roasted coconut chips (also from Trader Joe's)
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender - I used my Nutra Bullet. If its still a little too thick, add an additional splash of water or almond milk. You want the consistency of a super thick smoothie.
- Pour into a bowl and arrange your toppings.