Yes. I know what you’re thinking. I’m a crazy dog lady because I made my dog treats for his first birthday. I make no excuses. Trevor and I are kind of crazy dog people, especially when it comes to vizslas. They’re just so loves and Beau has been a really great addition to our family.
Last weekend was his first birthday so I had to make him some homemade treats, which ended up being a lot easier than I thought. You don’t even have to get out a stand mixer. You can just whip them up in a bowl with a spatula. I feel especially proud of getting to Beau’s first birthday. It’s not easy raising a puppy with small kids, but most of the time (when we aren’t pulling toys or shoes out of his mouth), it’s all worth it.
Trevor tested out Beau’s obedience the other night and put the treat on his paw to see if he’d “leave it” while I snapped a photo and he did shockingly well.
I got this recipe from Damn Delicious and actually didn’t change a thing. They definitely need to bake quite a bit so they crisp up (you don’t want them chewy like a human cookie), but Beau loves them and gave them two paws up!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur Flour)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs.
- Fold in the flour.
- Knead the dough on a flour surface a couple times and roll out with a floured rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until almost crispy.
- Cool completely and serve to your favorite doggie friend!