Right now in this moment, Sausage and Broccoli Pasta is my favorite pasta dish. It’s got some good veggies, a little zip from the sausage and crushed red pepper flake, and its not too heavy. It strikes a good balance of being a cheat food (hello, pasta), but not going way over the deep end (yes, you, mac and cheese).
From start-to-finish, this pasta dish (adapted from this Real Simple recipe) is on the table in less than 30 minutes which makes it a home run for weeknight cooking. This is also one of the meals where I get very little whining from my little picky eater so I tend to make it quite a bit.
Read on for the recipe!
- 1 lb. short-cut pasta (I used penne)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sweet sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until about a minute underdone (it will continue cooking when you add it to the hot broth and sausage).
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook sausage for about 10 minutes until browned. Break up the sausage with a spoon while its cooking. Add broth and red pepper and bring to a boil Add the broccoli and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and Parmesan and cook uncovered for a minute or 2.
- Toss the pasta with the sausage mixture. Top with any extra cheese.