I’ve been in a breakfast rut lately, and this Strawberry Spinach Smoothie Bowl is a perfect way to get me out of it. You wouldn’t think this would be a tasty combination, but the fruit mixed with the veggies is almost like any good tropical cocktail, but packs a seriously healthy punch.
I think the times that I’m eating at my best is when I can fit in a healthy, filling breakfast. I was at the Whole Foods in Albany and noticed they are having a big sale on produce – especially their pineapples and bananas. Their produce is some of the best you can find locally and I love being able to blend it all into a delicious breakfast! I also threw in some chia seeds and flax seed to really up the ante. Like I said, a healthy breakfast is one of the best ways to keep me motivated to be healthy throughout the day.
This is essentially a layered smoothie, but I called it a bowl because I ate it with a spoon since it had some great Whole Foods granola in between the smoothie layers. Enjoy!
- 8 oz. water (you can use coconut water or plain tap water)
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. ground flax
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 tbsp. granola (I used the Whole Foods brand oats and honey granola)
- 7 frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (no sweeteners)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- Blend the water, bananas, mango, pineapple, spinach, flax and avocado. Blend for a solid minute until fully incorporated.
- Pour the green smoothie into the bottom of glass or bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of granola on top of each of the smoothies.
- Rinse the blender and add the strawberries, yogurt, orange juice and chia seeds. Blend until really smooth and pour slowly on top of the granola.
- Enjoy with a spoon!