I think my pantry (and also our fridge and the rest of our kitchen) is like one part foodie and one part kid-friendly.
The foodie in me keeps things like coconut oil, steel cut oats and really good yeast on hand. While the mommy in me keeps a bin of snacks (thank you, Annie’s) and lots of cereal and juice boxes on hand.
Keep in mind, we have a small house so this is just a reach-in style pantry. I don’t have a ton of room to shop in bulk too much. Unless I start moving things into the basement. (Hmm…that’s an idea!) I fantasize about my “If I Win the Lotto” house, and it’ll have a fabulous pantry.
So here’s what I like to keep on hand:
- Dried pastas in a couple shapes and sizes (always a short-cut like a ziti and some spaghetti); I even have some Annie’s mac and cheese for an easy dinner
- Rice: Long-grain white, Arborio for risotto and some sort of brown (which we eat the most of); sometimes I have mixes (like a cilantro-lime Archer Farms one I have now)
- Tomatoes: Spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes and always a few jars of tomato paste
- Beans and broths – Usually white and black beans; I always have low-sodium chicken and beef broths on hand
- Nut butters: all-natural peanut butter and Justin’s almond butter
- Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preseves – I dare you to tell me of a better jelly
- Baking ingredients: flours (cake, all-purpose, bread and whole wheat at the moment), sugars, baking powder, soda, extract and some fancy Red Star yeast that I just picked up at King Arthur Flour in Vermont
- Oils – coconut, vegetable oil (shortening) and olive oil
- Oats – steel cut and old-fashioned
- Cereals and granola, Chia seeds
- Coconut milk
- Vinegars – red wine, rice wine, apple cider and balsamic
- Kosher salt
- Barbecue sauce, Tabasco sauces, Worcestershire, soy sauce and mayo
- Cornmeal and Panko bread crumbs
- Chocolate – semisweet chocolate chips and some fancy chocolate for late-night cravings
- Snacks – Food Should Taste Good chips (try them! You’ll thank me later) in Sweet Potato and Multigrain; Luna bars, KIND bars and other good snacks for families.
- Organic protein powder
- Maple syrup – thanks to Trevor’s hard work we have jars upon jars of it
Potatoes, onions and garlic – I store them in a dark cabinet
That’s all for now, but pretty soon I’ll do a fridge post and I’ll show you all the glorious condiments and ridiculous amounts of cheese.