Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie and Whole Foods Gift Card Giveaway
Let’s take a quick break from the Christmas cookies and talk pie, shall we? This Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie is my second collaboration with the awesome folks at Whole Foods in Albany (stay tuned to the end of the post – there’s a giveaway!)
I really love to try new desserts for Christmas. I know everyone has their allegiances to certain pies on Thanksgiving (typically apple and pumpkin), but Christmas is special. It’s a time to try a new dessert, maybe something a little more decadent and this Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie is a home run!
So this Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie was born. The family and I stopped into our local Whole Foods the other day to pick up the ingredients and I really love the bulk section. It’s great to be able to buy exactly what you need for this recipe. I also wanted some big, whole pecans to make the design on the top and they had those in bulk took. A huge bonus – they had a 20 percent off beer sale on Saturday so you know we took advantage of that!
This pie is just everything I’m looking for in a holiday dessert. Not too sweet, but really delicious. The bacon cuts through the sweetness of the maple syrup and gives the pie that nice salty bite. I recommend a really high-quality bacon in this. No cheap flimsy bacon so go for some thick cut, center cut strips of bacon. Just make sure to chop them up pretty small (a little bit smaller than the pecans) so that it blends in nicely with the pecan pie.
I used my mom’s pie crust recipe for this pie since it’s shortening based. I wanted something not super rich (an all-butter crust can be), and it compliments the filling.
Read on for the recipe (and click alllll the way to the end for the chance to win a $50 gift card from Whole Foods!)
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
- 5 strips thick-cut bacon, well-done and chopped
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans, plus 1/2 cup whole pecans for the top
- 1 pie crust (use whatever recipe you like!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the salt, vanilla, maple syrup and bourbon.
- Make sure the mixture is well mixed then fold in the bacon and chopped pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell and arrange the whole pecans on top in whatever design you'd like.
- Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet (to prevent any messes in the oven) and bake for 55 minutes or until there the filling has set up completely. Allow the pie to sit for at least an hour after its out of the oven. You do not want to cut this when its really hot. Bring it to room temperature then serve!
Whole Foods $50 Gift Card Giveaway!
Note: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods. They provided me with the giveaway prize, but all opinions are my own! You can use the gift card at ANY Whole Foods in the U.S., and the contest is only open to U.S. residents. Good luck!